Eric – Week 6 Report

Goals:

• Fix an elusive bug in the networking code that seems to only appear over network connections (not localhost).
  • Look into reducing the amount of data that needs to be sent over the network (either compression, deltas, or other optimizations).
  • Allow clients to initiate a game (all clients press start, or enter or something along those lines).
  • Work with getting more asteroids on the playing field.
  • Start power ups.

Goals – Accomplished:

• Elusive bug fixed
  • Compression and deltas implemented.

Reason for Unaccomplished Goals:

The delta network change took WAY longer than I anticipated! I ended up redesigning a lot of the networking code around them to later realize (after I got the first version working) there was a better, simpler way of doing it. I then reverted a lot of my changes, and implemented the better way. The feature probably wasn’t even worth the time, but I feel a lot better knowing we have more headroom if we want (or  need) to send more data over the network.

Because of the amount of time deltas took, I didn’t get a chance to get to anything else. Kristina, however, did get more asteroids on the field (yay!).

Goals for next week:

• Print network throughput on the client
  • Maybe change the way names got out of the game state (have to clarify with Andrew)?
  • Power-ups?
  • Sun God.

Morale:

Mother of god deltas took a long ass time.

“Don’t like space. Don’t like space.”

Posted in Eric Reports