WEEK 3

May 3, 2018

GROUP STATUS REPORT

Weekly Status

We’ve made good progress this week, though many of us are still bogged down by outside classes. However, morale is good and we are all somewhat optimistic for future tasks.

Here is a breakdown of things in summary:

Meeting Dates

Friday, 4/27

Wednesday, 5/2 @ 2 pm

Thursday, 5/3 @ 10 am (official meeting with professor)

Group Morale

7/10 - We are more optimistic than we were last week, though we are still slightly cautious and wary of what we can accomplish due to outside influences such as midterms, other class assignments, etc. However, our mood and morale is on the up and up, which is good. :)

Screenshots

INDIVIDUAL STATUS REPORTS

Leon Medvinsky

What were your concrete goals for the week?

What goals were you able to accomplish?

If there were goals you were unable to meet, what were the reasons?

What are your specific goals for the next week?

What did you learn this week, if anything (and did you expect to learn it?)

What is your individual morale (which might be different from the overall group morale)?

7/10

Chris Ozawa

Work on more of the lighting and some coloring effects for the models.

What goals were you able to accomplish?

I got Phong shading to work for the lighting.  I started a little bit of work on a bit more point light generalization in case we wanted more than one later on, but I ended up switching focus to time-interpolated color changing as that would be more critical to the end product.

As mentioned above, I didn’t finish all of the fine tuning for lighting that I was expecting to as a result of prioritizing the color changing.  It should be doable, but it’s also a matter of what we need finished, so it depends a bit on how much time is needed for highest priority issues.

More rendering improvements and visual effects as needed.  We want to incorporate basic UI into the game as well.  For now we have a basic HP bar, but we’ll be deciding specifically what else is needed and how we want it to look.

I was never really exposed to std::chrono for time keeping before, so I had to get a bit accustomed with it.  Had to play around with it to figure out how to make the model’s color flash based on time and then make more adjustments in order to restrict the color changing to a set amount of time (currently half a second).  There was some stumbling and in hindsight, the end result’s actually simpler than I was expecting when I was initially scrambling to get it to work properly, but we have functional time interpolated color changing now!  Jimmy helped a lot with getting it to work since there was a bunch of confusion and some silly mistakes at first.

Probably about a 7/10.  It’s cool seeing features continuing to be added and the game steadily getting more visual flair, but we’re approaching the halfway point of the quarter so I’m not entirely sure how much of our plans we’ll be able to incorporate into the final game as the weeks continue to pass.

Paula Quach

We decided instead of focusing on expanding InputManager and testing to get a MVP working which involved having a flag object with flag-based events set up so I worked on that instead.

What goals were you able to accomplish?

I got a very basic flag object created which can be seen on the client side and with state on the server side. Currently, it’s just a box though.

Despite getting a very minimum flag object up, it isn’t actually “working” per se. Partly was because I had less time this week due to an upcoming midterm and partly because I was having trouble understanding how our physics engine worked. I was basically lifting code from other server/client objects and trying to convert it into a working flag object.

Finish up on the flag and I think perhaps go through our code to add more documentation for better understanding later down the line so I don’t spend several hours trying out numbers to get a visible origin spawn point… Also use better coding practices.

I thought I at least had a baseline understanding of our code, but when it comes to the physics side I guess not…

6/10 Pretty average.

Jack Wang

Fully understand bullet lib.

Improve Collision event system.

What goals were you able to accomplish?

Implemented and improved collision event system.

Implemented basic trigger type.

N/A

Stick to the schedule and deliver efficient and decent code on time.

I mastered bullet library! yeah!

8/10

Jimmy Ye

Finish flag objective mechanic and other such features for our first demo milestone.

What goals were you able to accomplish?

I worked on adding the flag mechanic and helped with some graphics work (e.g. color flashing, HP bars).

Combat hasn't been implemented, unfortunately. We have most of the graphics and networking infrastructure to do it quickly (at least that's the plan), so I expect to add this game logic over the next few days.

Complete a basic combat system.

Lots of C++, as to be expected.

8/10. I've been quite productive in implementing code, as well as with collaborating with other group members on their code/design, and I feel like we are making fairly good progress.

Jamie Zhang

What goals were you able to accomplish?

Vivian Zhang

Finish the warrior model and start on misc items such as enemies, small objects (flag, doors, etc).

What goals were you able to accomplish?

I was able to model, color, and finish the warrior model and the enemy slime.

I was hoping to get more miscellaneous items modeled, but I got sucked into perfecting the warrior model and spending a lot of time on each individual clothing bit. Overall though, I am happy with my progress compared to last week.

Begin coloring and texturing the dungeon room, and maybe work on the mage model, which I expect to be much quicker now that i’ve gotten the hang of modeling clothing. Perhaps if I am way ahead of schedule, I will start taking a look at rigging and animating.

I am becoming much more used to Blender, including its hotkeys and shortcuts! Modeling simple things is now becoming much faster.

8/10 - I am happy with the progress that I have made this week, particularly in comparison to the road block I had last week.