Reesha’s Week 10 Report

? asset list HERE

Thank you to Geoff and Edward for a great quarter!

This is the most fun I have ever had in a class at UCSD, seriously. I was able to improve my skills as an artist, collaborate with others, and get my feet wet when it comes to working on a game.

The entire experience was rewarding and incredibly fun. Though I am not sure I ever want to make a game in 10 weeks ever again. The timeline is just too quick for my procrastinating self. ? That being said, it is still my dream to contribute concept art to a game. My pipe dream is getting commissioned by CDPR to work on Witcher IV ? check back in a few years on that one.

I work for myself as a visual artist on the side of everything I do currently. It’s what I love to do! I make sure I carve out serious time for it. This game really helped me improve my art skills and technique, and it gave me a chance to see what being a concept artist or animator would be like.

I have some serious respect for animators. If you’re looking to get good at art – and get good fast – practice animations! They will really cement your understanding of perspective, anatomy, and whatever subject you are drawing. Plus, drawing the same thing over and over is a good way to improve – iterative practice always helps.

Art is hard. It’s the thing I’ve been doing ever since I could hold things and the thing I’ve loved the longest but it is still one of the most difficult things I have ever done. Game development adds an extra trickiness and stickiness to it. But the challenge was so worth it.

Some final ramblings

Because this is Week 10 I won’t bog you down with ramblings. Rather, I can just show you everything I did this week! AHHH! CHAOSSSSSSS

• I fixed Greeves and gave him better animations
  • I also fixed some of the fighter animations
  • I improved my animation workflow
    • This was drastically improved. It also helped that the sprites for Greeves were bigger so there wasn’t as much enlargement going on. The process was super quick and easy and I just did the export right from Photoshop directly.
  • I made more trees
  • I made some pillars
  • I made even more trees after that
  • I made some rocks
  • I did some concept art for what I imagine our fully rendered 52 week game could look like
  • I turned the concept art into a title screen
  • I turned the concept art into a loading screen
  • I added on-screen text for the stages of grief
  • I had to pay back all the time I spent procrastinating ?

This is some concept art of what I imagine our game could look like given a longer timeline.

I took a lot of inspiration from things like Resident Evil 7, Monster House, IT, the Hearts of Stone expansion from Witcher 3, and my brain. I love spooky things and the moodiness it evokes

I’m a big fan of those splash screens with the “press key to enter” text, it gives such a creepy feeling

Loading Screens

Here’s me just being a fan of RPGs and putting tips on the load screen (the text is still WIP). Also I was desperately wanting to change the loading screen, the one I previously did was an atrocity.

Greeves – here is some of the final art

Low Poly Asset Creation

Greeves, from concept to execution

First I named him Olaf just because I am a huge Slavic mythology nerd and that’s a very Slavic name. But then it kind of reminded me of the snowman in Frozen and I also just didn’t think it fit very well. Then the name changed to Greaves, but the spelling was lame, so I respelled it as Greeves.

Final animation!!

There are subtle fixes I made to the anatomy and his movement sequence. And phew, art is never done! There are still things I could have added and want to fix. But for what its worth, I am happy with how it turned out.

Goal(s)

• To basically finish everything, or as much as possible to make the game look as good and complete as possible

Missed Goal(s)

• At this point, there are an infinite amount of things we can add! But as it stands, I think this game turned out great for our timeline of 8-10 weeks.

Morale

???? i just woke up every day this week and worked on this game from 12pm – 5am ?

see you friday for the demo! let’s see how many more blender assets i can create in the meantime…